In case you haven’t seen, the March publication of Interior Design Magazine is packed with some really fantastic stats on our field, based on responses from 3,527 of their subscribers. Their self described “Universe Study” is conducted every 5 years, and is typically the type of data the magazine keeps for itself, but with the unprecedented changes in our field over the past year, Cindy Allen, the magazines Editor in Chief, decided to share this info. While I HIGHLY recommend picking up a copy of the March edition, here are a few stats you might find interesting as a fellow design student:
- 6% of designers have less than 3 years of experience in their profession
- Less than 1% of designers are under 25 years of age, while 21% fall into the 25-34 year old range
- A firm works an average of 30 office projects per year (the #1 project category)
- A firm works an average of 23 residential projects per year (the #2 project category)
- More than 1/3 of firms have diversified into the field of Sustainability Analysis in the last 2 years
While the study goes into further detail with activities that take under 10% of a designers’ time, we would LOVE to know how you spend your time. Do these percentages accurately reflect what you do as a student?